Thursday, September 4, 2008

I Think My Older Brother Used To Listen To...


Lagwagon's new 7 song EP might possible have the coolest title I have ever seen, its called "I Think My Older Brother Used To Listen To Lagwagon." Its funny because that's probably a very accurate statement, these guys have been rocking since 1990 and have been one of the premiere punk bands of the past two decades. I have been listening to these guys for a long time and many of their older songs, namely off of "Hoss" and "Double Plaidnum," remain a staple of my adolescent past. While I wish Lagwagon would have come out with a new full length record, I was undoubtedly excited when I heard that they were releasing an EP. The new EP finds Lagwagon sticking to the same melodic punk formula, which is a good thing because it works. Why change something when its not broken? Lagwagon is one of those rare bands that continues to get better and better as they age and this EP is proof of that. Overall, every song is worth listening to over and over again, these seven songs should hopefully tide us over until the next full length release. The lyrics on the EP are serious in nature but not nearly as depressing as the lyrics on their previous CD "Blaze" which dealt with the death of their friend Derek. Most of the songs on the EP are also going to appear on Joey Cape's (lead singer) solo acoustic record, "Bridge", that is set to release in mid October. Keep an eye out for that solo CD, one of the songs "No Little Pill" can be heard on his myspace page and "Errands" can be heard down below. Aside from that, this release proves that Lagwagon still has plenty more music left in their career and its nice to see that there are some bands left playing this style of music.


Lagwagon- Memoirs and Landmines(MP3)
From the EP "I Think My Older Brother Used To Listen To Lagwagon" (Amazon.com)


Joey Cape- Errands (MP3)
From the upcoming album "Bridge" (Pre-order)

No comments: